Concurrent to the collection of the iMCD Household Survey data UBDC researchers have undertaken a significant information extraction exercise to capture data streams related to Glasgow from a variety of online sources.
Twitter data comprises a large part of this collection, and this dataset comprises a selection of tweets during the period 1/12/14 - 30/11/2015 that arose from the greater Glasgow area. This, for example, may give insights into the citizens’ behaviour, reactions and moods in certain contexts or at particular times. The dataset can be queried through a bespoke online tool by specific hashtag or tweet term, in order to return statistical information or specific Tweet IDs.
Captured tweets were those geolocated in Glasgow (based on a polygon around the geography), those from certain known Glasgow accounts (e.g. @BBCWestScot; @policescotland) and containing certain terms or hashtags (e.g. glasgow, or #glasgow2014).
- Data owner: Urban Big Data Centre
- Coverage (geographical): Glasgow
- Coverage (time): December 2014 - November 2015
- Who can use this data? Anyone
- Format: Due to the terms of Twitter’s licensing we may not redistribute or allow the downloading of full tweets. Instead the service will provide Tweet IDs in lieu of the tweets themselves. These can then be used in queries to Twitter’s own API to retrieve the full content. Results would typically be provided in JSON format.