UBDC Active Travel Data Challenge Day: Get More People Cycling!
- Thursday 9 November 2017
- 12.00 - 4.30pm
- Tontine Building, 20 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5NA GET DIRECTIONS
Join us at this free afternoon event at the Glasgow Tontine centre designed to develop ideas for big data research and active travel. Contribute your ideas and share real-life experiences of urban cycling. Hear from our Data Challenge Finalists and help them develop their ideas for useful apps. Plus, a free lunch! Register here!
This event is the culmination of our first cycling Data Challenge - and is part of the ESRC Festival of Social Science. Our Data Challenge Judging Panel will be there: Haynes Bunn (Strava), Ken Macdonald (BBC Scotland correspondent), Collin Little (Glasgow City Council Travel Plan Officer), Viola Retzlaff (University of Glasgow Travel and Transport Co-ordinator), and Kirsty Grainger (Economic and Social Research Council).
Although there are many existing measures in place to increase cycling, we will hear about how academics, businesses, charities, startups and data enthusiasts use data from the cycling and running app Strava, and other forms of unique data, to develop innovative solutions to answer the question: how do we get more people cycling?
Come to the Tontine Building on Thursday 9 November, watch the lightning talks and presentations, network with others interested in active travel, and take part in discussions designed to elicit new ideas for feeding back to transport planners locally, nationally and globally.
Programme - event runs from 12.00-4.30pm, 9th November 2017:
12:00-12:45 Registration and lunch.
12:45-13:00 Welcome and introduction to the day.
13:00-13:15 Haynes Bunn (Strava) on Strava app data developments around the world.
13:15-13:30 UBDC and Active Travel: Overview of our research and the data collections available to you in this area. How to work with us or access the data for your research.
13:30–14:15 Lightning Talks! Some speakers (more to be confirmed):
- Dr Collin Little (Travel Plan and Cycle Promotion Development Officer at Glasgow City Council's Land and Environmental Services, on Glasgow City Council cycling promotion work and the European Cycling Challenge)
- Viola Retzlaff (University of Glasgow's Travel and Transport Co-ordinator on the University's sustainable transport work).
- Dr Mark Livingston (Urban Big Data Centre) on using Strava Data to evaluate the impact of new cycling infrastructure on cycling behaviour in the wider network.
- Dr Katarzyna Sila-Nowicka (Urban Big Data Centre) on linking Strava data and weather data to look for patterns.
- Yeran Sun (Urban Big Data Centre) on his research into using app and social media data to inform transport planning.
- Dr Andrew Kirkland (Stirling University) on his research into overcoming psychological barriers to exercise.
- Bob Downie (GoBike campaign group) on different sources of data on cycling in Glasgow and what they tell us.
- Luke Phillips (Cycling Scotland) on their Cycling Potential Tool.
- Francesca Hogg (Sustrans) on school based active travel interventions.
14:15–14:30 Coffee / comfort break.
14:30-15:00 Data Challenge Finalists' presentations:
- Iain Paton: Visualisation of Strava cycle usage data against collision data and existing infrastructure in Glasgow with details of wards and councillors.
- Bill Oates: Strive City Scotland.
15:00-16:30 Group workshop discussion on big data and encouraging cycling
16:00-16:30 Facilitators present main points from their groups, final discussion and closing comments.
With thanks to:
This event is part of: