Introduction to QGIS
- Wednesday, 10th August 2016
- 9:30am - 4:30pm (lunch break included)
- Jura Teaching Lab, Level 4 Annexe, University of Glasgow LIbrary, Hillhead St, Glasgow G12 8QE GET DIRECTIONS
GIS software is widely used by a variety of communities in geospatial data analysis.
Commercial GIS software, such as ESRI ArcGIS, MapInfo and ENVI are only accessible to users with a payment of a license. Actually, as the most popular open source GIS software, QGIS can replace ESRI ArcGIS in the majority of GIS functions. In this short course, basic knowledge of geospatial data and GIS will be introduced. How to use open source GIS software QGIS to visualize, manage and analyse geospatial data will be presented and practised.
About the UBDC Summer Training Programme 2016
Introduction to QGIS is one of eight short courses hosted by the Urban Big Data Centre at the University of Glasgow this August 2016. Following a successful trial of our training last summer, this year’s programme expands on the course offerings to provide training and skills development in wider areas of data analytics, data management and modelling as well as a new course on accessing UBDC’s variety of data services. We intend to schedule further training courses in the coming academic year and addition, offer one-off seminar and workshop events funded through the ESRC SASNet Programme. All of our courses are open to academic participants from any discipline as well as professionals from businesses, third sector, private organisations, local authorities, government departments etc.
If you would like to be updated of future courses when they are available, sign up for the UBDC email newsletter.
- The course is open to a wide variety of participants (researchers, students, practitioners)
- All software packages needed for the course will be provided in the designated course lab
- The course requires a minimum of 5 registered participants for delivery and has a maximum of 20 participants
- All participants must ensure they meet the pre-requisite knowledge requirements stated in the course description
- All participants must register - your place in the course is not final until you receive a confirmation email from our delegate registration service (firstname.lastname@example.org).